Corey and I have been cutting back on our dairy, but have not given up on milk entirely. When we purchase milk, we try to buy it in the reusable glass jugs or in a recyclable option. A few days ago a friend of mine passed along this simple two ingredient quinoa milk recipe, so I gave it a try.
Here is what you need:
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 2-3 Dates to Sweeten (optional; I didn’t use)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
Here is what I did:
- Cook Quinoa according to package instructions. Usually it is 2 Cups of Water to 1 Cup of quinoa simmered for 15 minutes
- Add the Cup of cooked quinoa and the water to your blender (along with any flavor additions). Blend until smooth/blended.
- Use a strainer (or cheesecloth) to remove the quinoa pulp. You may not need to if you have a good blender. Viola! Done!
Admittedly, my pictures aren’t that great because I did this in a hurry. The entire thing took about 5 minutes after the quinoa was fully cooked. The milk is pretty thin and not very creamy, but it is delicious! It will go well with granola and smoothies in the mornings!
NOTE: Don’t waste the strained pulp, it is AMAZING! I ate half of mine with a spoon and saved the rest for my smoothie tomorrow morning. You can probably bake with it or add it to other dishes for a boost of protein.